Wednesday, May 7, 2008

First Trip to Walgreens

Now here's my fun picture for the week. Not only do I get to share what I saved, but I also get to show off the baby of my family. :-) Koby has got to be the biggest "baby" you can ever imagine. He truly doesn't realize that he is NOT a lap dog. God blessed us with the sweetest and most well behaved, gentle dog you can ever imagine. And talk about smart? He can even close the back door when he comes inside! How's that for smart? Anyway...more about him another time.
This trip was made to Walgreens. My friend and I decided to give it a try and she had worked out several ideas, so I met her there to join in. Of course, we did get a little slow start because I went to the wrong store (we have 2 within a couple of miles and I didn't think to ask her which one she was going to...silly me. :-) ) Great thing was that since she was there ahead of me she had already scoped out all the deals and picked up a few items for me already. I am so blessed to have a friend to help me save money and we have such a good time getting it done. :-) Thanks Fiddle D. Dee.

So here's the breakdown:

TRANSACTION #1

3 Walgreens Facial Tissues - $.99/each - with store coupon
1 Zantac Cool mint - 8 ct - $3.99 - $5 coupon adjusted down
1 Gillette Venus Razor - $9.99 - $4 coupon
1 Dr. Pepper 20 oz. - $1.29 (for a very thirsty assistant) - free coupon

Paid $11.71 oop and saved $12.59 - generated $9.00 RR for Zantac and Venus razor.

TRANSACTION #2

2 Cascade powder - 2/$5 - .25 coupons for each
1 Zest bodywash - 3/$10 - .35 coupon
1 Old Spice bodywash - 3/$10 - .75 coupon
2 Crest toothpaste - 2/$5 - 1.00 coupons for each
1 Zantac Cool mint - 8 ct. - $3.99 - 5.00 coupon adjusted down
3 Charmin wipes - $1.99 each with store coupon

Paid $20.42 oop and saved $14.71 - generated $23.00 RR for purchasing 9 P&G products and the one Zantac.

TRANSACTION #3

1 Zantac Cool mint - 8 ct. - $3.99 -$5 coupon adjusted down

Paid $.32 oop and saved 4.99 - generated $3.00 RR for purchasing Zantac.

Now the total spent was $32.55 and the total saved was $32.29 and the total received in RR(register rewards) - $35.00. (I think I actually made money.)

All-in-all I call that a successful trip. I did learn a few things though and was thankful for Fiddle D. Dee, because she had shopped with Walgreens before and knew a few of the ins and outs. Bottom line that I learned ( and I do remember reading this on Crystal's site before a good while back) is that you can't use more coupons than you have actual items, so if you have 9 items and 9 manufacturer's coupons, you can't use RR. That was a little disappointing, but I'll just get to use them later. :-) Also we learned that it would only print 1 RR and accept 1 coupon for the Zantac on each transaction, which is why I spread mine out. Fiddle D. Dee bought hers first and had to return and re-buy one of the Zantacs because she didn't get her RR and it wouldn't take but one coupon. And so we both learned by her frustrations. :-)

Well...all I can say is that shopping at Walgreens was a new experience for me and since I have $35 in RR to spend I know I will be back. Hopefully it will be as much fun the next time and I can save just as much. Much thanks to Crystal on Moneysavingmom.com for all her helps and deals. She is such a blessing and it is a pleasure to learn from her. Please check out her site for more information on "how to's". She also has some great e-books that she has written and offers to help others learn to live frugally.

My prayer and goal in sharing my savings is to help others learn how to wisely use the resources God has provided. God has greatly blessed me by bringing into my life those who can help me and I look forward to sharing that information with others as I am able.

God bless and have a great week!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is it my imagination or is Koby smiling in this picture? Too cute!